Sunday, July 20, 2014

Julep Mystery Box: Truth or Dare

This came in the mail on Friday. 

About two weeks or so, Julep had a selection of six or so different Mystery Boxes, entitled "Truth or Dare" mystery boxes. You got to see one product that would definitely be in the box, and they had different options... Like an eyeliner, or a foot creme, or a hand creme, I don't know if that influenced what the other products chosen for your box would be or not, however. I chose the box featuring the Kajal Eyeliner because I really liked how the black eyeliner looks on my bottom waterline, and I've found it's one of the best, for me, for that purpose. And well... You can never have too much eyeliner.

The box took about two weeks to get to me, which is typical, when ordering a Mystery Box, and the wait doesn't seem that bad either... which it does for a regular Maven box. 

Speaking of which, the August reveal opened today, if you are a member of Julep. I really like the color choices this month, and the featured beauty product, which is an eyeliner. So I actually stuck with my regular box, and added on a few of the polish colors from other style profiles. The colors are all nice and bright :)

This was the inside of my Mystery Box.

My first add-on was the sea salt texture hair spray. I actually wore it yesterday at my engagement party to see what it would do to my hair. I had gotten a similar product from my June Ipsy bag and I liked what it did to my hair. 

The spray definitely adds definition and waves to my already annoyinging curly hair. However, since I live in Texas, the humidity and heat destroy anything I try to do with my hair in the summer months, so I can't tell you how effective the product would be in a normal climate or the lasting or staying power, when I'm sweating buckets outside. But it does give life to my hair.

This was my mystery bag, my second add on.

These Forget Me Not seeds are about two years old. I got them, when I first subscribed to Julep, in 2012. I have no idea if they'd even work if I planted them. 
Worth: $1.00

A moisture mask for my nails.  These usually come in a pack of three. I guess Julep got cheap and it just sending 1/3 with Mystery Packages now. It's $16.00 for 3... So value is about $4.50 or so, per one, but I don't use these things, so it's a waste.

from l to r: Roz, Kamala, & Vera.

I known I own Kamla and Roz , but I'm okay with this. I know a little 5 year old girl, who will absolutely love those colors because she adores glitter nailpolish, so I'll happily pass those two colors onto her, and I know she'll use them :)

Vera is a really old and ugly color. It's before Julep even had those swatch stickers on top of the bottles. It's a boring brown color. I probably will never wear it... I like bright colors.  But hey... It's like I have a piece of the Julep Vintage collection.

Using Maven Prices, those three colors are worth $24.00

So my mystery add on value is worth a total of:  $29.50, so I definitely got more than the $9.00 that I put into that mystery bag.

This is the actual mystery box.

My first look at the inside.

The "Truth" item, my Kajal Eye Glider, worth $17.60. It has two sections, a black one, which I use for my waterline, and a shimmery brownish one, that I rarely use. It also comes with an awesome sharpener, that I've found works AMAZING for ALL my eye liner pencils.

Julep's eye sheen in "Fig", which I own already, worth, $14.40, and an angled eye liner brush, worth, $9.60.

I own all of their eye sheen colors because I LOVE ME SOME EYE MAKEUP.

 Fig is a pinkish purplish color.

It's the most colorful of that entire eye sheen set. It's actually a very nice color. It's light enough to be neutral, but colorful enough to give my eyes a pop.

While it's not something I would've hand picked for my box, it's not unwanted.

from l to r: Venus, Aphrodite, and Lindy. 

Each worth $11.20, which makes their total value, $33.60.

Venus is very pink and very glitter. It has huge chunks of pink glitter and small speckles of silver glitter.

Aphrodite is gorgeous. It's a dark pink color with silver molten glitter.

Lindy, I feel like I have already, but that's okay, my little five year old will love it. It's a hot pink gel color with iridescent glitter in it.

So my mystery box is worth.... $75.20

That's not even close to the $100+ value that it promised. But it is certainly more then the $29 or so dollars that I paid for it.

I don't think it's my highest value ever mystery box, but it wasn't the worst either. I'm pretty satisfied with the products that I received in it. Yes, there were some doubles, of colors I already had, but that's to be expected with mystery boxes and those colors wilt go to good use anyways, and make a five year old very happy.

So, if you're interested, try out Julep.






No comments:

Post a Comment