Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Bug Juice, real kids, makin' friends, havin' fun, On Bug Juice!

I was a child of the nineties, and MAN DO I MISS THE NINETIES!!

The nineties were the time of awesome fashion.. HELLO FLANNEL SHIRT... awesome music... here's looking at you Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains... ie MY ENTIRE IPOD PLAYLIST... 

 GIRL POWER!

Hard Candy Nailpolish, Naturalistic Lip Gloss, Hair mascara, Leonardo DiCaprio, and epic movies like My Girl, Titanic, Romeo & Juliet, and games like Mall Madness and Girl Talk.

Seriously, the nineties was the BEST time to grow up in.

Anyways.

Now that it's summer, and all the sleep-away camps have started, it's bringing me back to my camp days. I was a camp brat. I basically started going to camp, as soon as I was potty-trained, and I didn't stop till summer 2009, although, OBVIOUSLY I wasn't a camper then.
One of my EARLIEST summers.

I wouldn't say I liked camp. I didn't dislike camp. I really liked it from about age 3 to age 13. I went to day camp till I was going into 7th grade. Then from day camp I graduated to Teen Camp,which is where you traveled every day, and sometimes had overnight trips. All my camp friends, from elementary school, who had been in my group for years, did travel summer with me, so I was always happy.

I remember I had one friend named Louis, during my first summer at travel camp. He totally played Magic the Gathering cards, and played a red deck. He tried teaching me how to play, and it was too complicated... Now MANY years later, I totally play MtG, I still suck, but I'm marrying a guy, who plays it... GO FIGURE.

Once I turned 14, my mother decided I needed a sleep-away camp... WHO THE FUCK SENDS THEIR TEENAGE DAUGHTER TO SLEEPAWAY CAMP AT AGE 14? TEENAGE GIRLS ARE FUCKING BITCHES!

I was absolutely fucking miserable at sleepaway camp. I had no friends, the girls wanted NOTHING to do with me because I was "taking the bunk room that should've been for their friends", and none of the guys even looked my way... so much for camp boyfriends :/ I also didn't know how to dress, or do my hair or makeup pretty, so I spent all my nights, in the bunk, reading books. I went through all my books quickly, and then started reading a bunkmates' books [with her permission, of course]. FUCK CAMP.

And then there was....
BUG JUICE!

Bug Juice was the Disney Channel's foray into "reality television."  It followed boys and girls, ranging from age 11ish to 15ish, and the eight weeks they spent at sleep-away camp. The first summer, and most well known summer was at Camp Waziyatah in Maine. The second season was at Camp Highlander. The third, and final season was at the now defunct Brush Ranch, which isn't a camp anymore. The first season was filmed in summer 1997, and run during early 1998, and the final summer, was filled during 1999, and shown during 2001.



The first summer is the most well-known, and consisted of a few memorable campers:


Connor, the resident hottie. All the girls wanted a piece of Connor. I have no idea why. He probably grew up, went to college, and spent all his days and nights smoking pot, getting stoned, and luring girls into his bedroom with his "reality television" show fame.

 Jon, whose entire life revolved around camp, and he would live, breathe, and die camp. He was the resident "know it all", and was the big man on camp... in more ways than one. When I used to stalk to cast on the Wazi message board.. BEFORE they passworded it... OH DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT, YOU TOTALLY DID IT TOO!!  And he was the one, who posted the most on it. I just remember his idea of flirting with girls was tripping them. I bet you he didn't get laid till that one night in college... when they put GHB in the jungle juice.
There was Caitlin, the goth girl, who I thought was awesome because she wore Smashing Pumpkins tee-shirts and had kick-ass eyeliner. She was homesick all the time, and wanted to go home, and called her parents crying a lot. I CAN RELATE TO THAT! She was really good at art, she probably went to some art school and met some artistic peers, and has some sort of independent gallery of her photography or paintings or pottery somewhere.
Allison, who was the pretty popular, BUT NOT A SLUT LIKE STEPHANIE girl. I thought she was awesome too. I wanted to be like her. She had an army tank top and before my summer of 1998 started, I went to find almost the exact same tank top. I like to think she married Jason, her camp love, and they're living happily ever after, raising adorable babies to send to  Wazi.


There was "Little Andy", who was friends with big Andy, and Jon and Him "go way back". Little Andy, seemed like a sweet guy. One of those nice guys... you know the nice guys, who always had friends, but never seemed to get a girl. I also seem to remember a quote of his from an episode, where he said, girls are complicated, and he didn't want a relationship, and camp was there to have fun. GOOD FOR HIM, GIRLS SUCK, ESPECIALLY TEENAGE GIRLS.
 
 

There was the whole Stephanie/Keisha/Sarai love triangle, where Sarai wanted Connor, but Connor went for that easy bitch Stephanie... Though I was jealous of her hair, I didn't understand why her curls stayed perfect and non frizzy, and no matter what I did to my curls, THEY FRIZZED! And after Connor left... after all, he was just a four weeker... Stephanie just moved onto someone else... Big Andy, from second session, who probably hid a stash of weed under his bunk bed, smoked cigarettes behind the water shed, and totally listened to Marilyn Manson...

aka my type of teenage guy...

But seriously... THAT SLUT!

I think Martha said it best.... THESE PEOPLE WERE NUTS!

I liked Jason. He seemed like the type of guy, who would sit with you, at Central Park, in NYC, where he was from, and you could discuss literature like Hemingway and Edgar Allen Poe, and he'd actually have a clue what you were talking about. I also remember, he couldn't swim, and was stuck in the baby group with Lauren and like six year olds. Him and Allison started dating by the end of first session, I like to think they're still together.
 
 Lauren just always looked like she thought she was better than you. She probably became a sorostituite in college... I wonder if she ever got that stick removed from her ass.

Then there was Cammie, everyone loved Cammie. She always seemed like the most normal of the entire cast, aside from Allison. She played basketball, and was the popular girl in session two, though I seem to remember her playing guys... She was sort of seeing Gus and then dumped him in favor of Malik. She probably went to college on an athletic scholarship and is now raising like three kids.

I just always remember thinking... Why couldn't my summer life be like Bug Juice?

I wanted the FRIENDS FOREVER, the camp boyfriends, the girl power. And I got none of that.

Damn right.

I seriously wish this show was still on. It really was a reality show. It was real. I wish there were more shows about sleep-away camps.

I miss the 90s.




No comments:

Post a Comment